Here’s a “fact sheet” on the thing, via The Washington Post. In quotes because Iran considers the thing to be so much spin, and they don’t agree to it. Some highlights below, with my interpretation in italics.
- Iran has agreed to reduce by approximately two-thirds its installed centrifuges. Iran will go from having about 19,000 installed today to 6,104 installed under the deal, with only 5,060 of these enriching uranium for 10 years. All 6,104 centrifuges will be IR-1s, Iran’s first-generation centrifuge. Iran will go on enriching uranium, just at an allegedly slower pace.
- Iran has agreed to not enrich uranium over 3.67% for at least 15 years. See below regarding verification
- Iran has agreed to not build any new facilities for the purpose of enriching uranium for 15 years. Iran agreed to this years ago, too; Fordo was only recently discovered, after it had been in operation for several years.
- Iran has agreed to convert its Fordow facility so that it is used for peaceful purposes only—into a nuclear, physics, technology, research center. As a research center, it’ll continue to be used for nuclear weapons research.
- Iran has agreed to not conduct research and development associated with uranium enrichment at Fordow for 15 years. See the bit about verification.
- The IAEA will have regular access to all of Iran’s nuclear facilities, including to Iran’s enrichment facility at Natanz and its former enrichment facility at Fordow, and including the use of the most up-to-date, modern monitoring technologies. “Regular access:” on notice, with plenty of time to “get ready” for the inspection. “All of Iran’s…facilities:” that they’ve revealed.
- S. and E.U. nuclear-related sanctions will be suspended after the IAEA has verified that Iran has taken all of its key nuclear-related steps. A prompt end to sanctions after IAEA is promptly fooled. See verification above.
There’s nothing in this framework that prevents Iran from developing and building nuclear weapons. Maybe—maybe—this slows them down a little bit.
The community organizer and the motorboat skipper got played by the JayVee’s coach.